When the lens in your eye starts losing its transparency and becomes cloudy, interferes with the light reaching the retina and affects your vision, it is called a cataract. It must be removed for vision to be restored. A clouded lens can be compared to a window fogged with steam.
Depending on the type of cataract, different patients experience different visual problems, the most common ones being:
- Difficulty in night driving due to glare from headlights
- Frequent changes in eyeglass prescription
- Double vision in one eye
- Temporary improvement in near vision (such as that needed for reading) in people who earlier had difficulty in seeing near objects.
- Difficulty performing daily activities because of vision problems
- Experiencing fading of colours
Till date there is no way to cure it with medicines. After surgery, good vision can be restored in most of the patients who have normal, healthy eyes. It involves removing the cataractous lens of the eye, replacing it with an intraocular lens (IOL) implant.
You no longer have to wait until the cataract “ripens” (matures) or until you lose your sight completely before surgery can be performed. In fact, the surgery is best done when the cataract is immature. Timing of surgery is according to the patient’s need, when the cataract starts interfering with his/her daily activities.
- AEH is the pioneer of Phacoemulsification Surgeries in North India.
- We have always been at the forefront to introduce the latest in Cataract Surgery.
- We introduced the concept of a Cataract surgery without injection, stitches or bandage.
- Customized cataract surgeries – we customize your vision best suited to your needs whether you are a farmer, a golfer, a businessman or a voracious reader.
- Highest accuracy in lens power Calculation is achieved with Ziess IOL master.
- We have the latest and best technology for Cataract Surgery in the world –
- High end microscopes & phacoemulsification units to the widest range of lenses- from spheric and aspheric IOLS to Toric, Multifocal & accommodative IOLS ,to give you a lot more than just good vision.
The cataractous lens is removed surgically and replaced with an IOL .The latest technique of Extra Capsular Cataract Extraction is called Phacoemulsification (often just called “phaco”) which the general public understands as Laser cataract surgery. It is a method of cataract removal by ultrasound fragmentation and aspirate away the cataractous lens through a small wound.
Dr.B.S. Bhaura is one of the pioneers of phacoemulsification surgeries in India and the first surgeon in the North India to have adopted “phaco” technique for cataract surgeries.
Known for operating smoothly upon even the most challenging cases, his experience in the field is unmatched. And at AEH, we do all the possible phaco surgeries you would have ever heard of.
Advantages of a phase surgery:
- Greater intra-operative control
- A smaller wound with no sutures
- Less risk of infection
- Fast healing
- Immediate vision improvement
- Less induced astigmatism
- Better long and short term predictability of vision
- Patients are able to resume normal activity much sooner and with fewer restrictions than the traditional cataract surgery
Ageing and exposure to ultraviolet radiation can cause cataracts.
Traumatic cataract– after an eye injury- may develop immediately or months to years after the injury.
Secondary– as a result of eye disease, after the use of certain medications, or as a result of medical conditions such as diabetes are also common.
Genetic– may be another risk factor. People with a family history are more likely to develop them.It may either be congenital(since birth) or development(during growing years).
- Wear sunglasses with 100 percent UV Protection
- Wear protective eyewear to avoid eye trauma when you’re susceptible to eye injury.
- It’s not possible to avoid cataracts altogether, though research is ongoing to explore possibilities of the same.
Apart from the routine eye examination, which includes:
- Refraction & visual acuity test
- Slit-lamp exam
- Retinal exam
ZEISS IOL Master
A new dimension in optical biometry, the most accurate lens(Intra Ocular Lens) power calculator available, so that the post operative vision achieved is nearest to the best possible vision that can be achieved by the patient.
Before IOLs were developed, people had to wear very thick eyeglasses to be able to see after cataract surgery. With the intraocular implantation of lens(IOL), vision after cataract surgery improves significantly. Every patient can choose the IOL, best suited to his/her requirements from a wide range of IOLs available at AEH.
Apart from the routine IOL implantations, we offer premium IOLs-
(DETAILS-ASPHERIC, TORIC, MULTIFOCAL IOLS)
Not necessarily. If a multifocal IOL or accommodative IOL is implanted in your eyes, you can have good distant and near vision at the same time, without using spectacles.
No, cataract surgery is a day care surgery and the patient can go home soon after the surgery.
You will spend a short period of time resting in the outpatient recovery area before you are ready to go home after a brief eye check-up. You will need to have someone to drive you home.
Following your surgery, it is very important to put in the eye drops exactly as prescribed by your ophthalmologist to promote healing.
The first week of your recovery you must avoid strenuous activity such as exercise or bending & heavy lifting & also need to avoid getting any water, dirt or dust in your eye, which can lead to infection.