Dry eye is common — it affects millions of people every year. The good news is that if you have a problem of dry eye, there are lots of things you can do to keep your eyes healthy and stay comfortable. Dry eye is the disease that happens when your eyes don’t make enough tears to stay wet, or when your tears don’t work correctly. This can make your eyes feel uncomfortable, uneasy and in some cases it can also cause vision problems.
• A scratchy feeling, like there’s something in your eye
• Stinging or burning feelings in your eye
• Red eyes
• Sensitivity to light
• Blurry vision
Anyone can get dry eye, but you might be more likely to have a dry eye if you:
• Are age 50 or older
• Are female
• Wear contact lenses
• Don’t get enough vitamin A (found in foods like carrots, broccoli, and the liver) or omega-3 fatty acids (found in fish, walnuts, and vegetable oils)
Normally, glands above your eyes make tears that keep your usual eyes wet. This could mean:
• Your glands don’t make enough tears to keep your eyes wet properly
• Your tears dry up too fast and early
• Your tears just don’t work well to keep your eyes wet at time
Different Treatment for dry eye usually depends on what’s causing your symptoms. There are a few types of treatment that can ease your symptoms and help keep your eyes healthy and disease-free.
Eye drops - The most common treatment for the dry eye is that eye drops called artificial tears. You can get this eye drops easily at a medical store without a prescription, which may help your eyes feel better. Prescription medicines - If your dry eye is more serious and problematic, your eye doctor may give you a prescription for medicines. These medicines are both types, it can be eye drops that can help your eyes make more tears.
• Use a humidifier to keep the air in your home from getting too dry
• Limit screen time and take breaks from staring at screens
• Wear wraparound sunglasses when you're outside
• Drink a lot of water — try for 8 to 10 glasses every day
• Get enough sleep — about 7 to 8 hours a night
Surgery- In some cases, dry eye surgery can happen because your lower eyelids are too loose, causing tears to drain too quickly out of your eye. If this is the cause of your dry eye, your eye doctor may suggest proper surgery to fix your eyelids and help your tears stay on your eyes. This treatment is very common. Even if you have dry eye disease, there are lots of things you can do to help keep your eyes healthy.
It depends upon the patient’s conditions of eyes. And it is common in India and the cost is also nominal for the treatment of the dry eye.
Are you suffering from dry eyes? You can visit Akal Eye Hospital and go for a check-up. Dr. Balbir Singh Bhaura is the reputed eye surgeons, available to look into your problem and work further on the processing. To have seamless surgery, you need to rely on a trusted doctor, and Dr. Balbir hasearned a name for themselves